The Paul Tsongas Scholarship Program seeks to recognize achievement and reward Massachusetts students who have graduated from high school within three years with a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 3.75 and highly competitive Scholastic Aptitude Test (S.A.T.) scores (or the American College Testing [A.C.T.] equivalent) and who also meet the one year residency requirement for tuition classification at the State Colleges. Students who meet the above residency requirement for tuition classification and who have pursued other endeavors for a minimum of five years are eligible to apply to a State College for the Paul Tsongas Scholarship Program under the exceptional life experience category set forth in the Guidelines. Eligible students receive a waiver of tuition and mandatory fees at a Massachusetts State College.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for a Paul Tsongas Scholarship, a student must:
- Meet eligibility criteria established by the State College and approved by the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
- Be a permanent resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the opening of the academic year.
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Be in compliance with applicable Selective Service Registration Laws.
- Not be in default of any federal or state loan or owe a refund on any previously received financial aid.
- Maintain a G.P.A. of 3.3 for continued eligibility for the waiver for four years of study.
The nine (9) Massachusetts State Colleges.
Each state college may provide five new Paul Tsongas Scholarship Program Tuition Waivers per academic year.
For More Information
Contact the Massachusetts state college that you plan to attend for application requirements and deadlines. You can also contact the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 391-6070 to obtain more information.