Massachusetts State Seal
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education's                         Office of Student Financial Assistance
Part-Time Grant Program
Demographic changes impacting current and future student population have a direct relationship to the number of part-time students who seek higher education. In Massachusetts, as in some other states, the number of part-time students has grown due to shifts in the states' demographic and economic conditions. More adults now find themselves needing to return to the classroom on a less than full-time basis. The continuous increase in college costs is also requiring more students to reconsider their enrollment plans and to look at part-time programs as viable alternatives. The Commonwealth has recognized the above needs and established the Part-Time Grant Program to serve as a bridge between higher education opportunities and those segments of the Massachusetts population.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for a Massachusetts Part-Time Grant, a student must:
  • Be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the start of the academic year for which the grant is awarded.
  • Be a United States citizen or an eligible non citizen.
  • Be enrolled for at least six (or the equivalent) but fewer than twelve undergraduate credits per academic term in an eligible undergraduate degree program or eligible certificate program.
  • Not have earned a baccalaureate or professional degree.
  • Be eligible for Title IV aid and not in default of a Federal or State education loan or owe a refund on any previously received financial aid.
  • Demonstrate financial aid need according to program guidelines and under Federal methodology need analysis criteria.
  • Be maintaining satisfactory academic progress according to institutional and Federal standards.
  • Be in compliance with applicable laws regarding Selective Service Registration.
Eligible Institutions
An eligible institution is defined as a public, private, independent, for profit or nonprofit institution in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts authorized to offer undergraduate degrees or certificate programs. The institution must be fully accredited and eligible to participate in the Federal Title IV programs.
What Awards Are Available?
Awards range from $200 to a maximum that depends on the type of institution that the student attends.
How Do I Apply?
Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Federal Central Processor after January 1st. Contact your financial aid office for additional application requirements and deadlines. You can obtain a FAFSA from a high school guidance office, the local library, your college's Financial Aid Office or you can call the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 391-6070 to request a copy. You can also file your FAFSA electronically.

Copyright © 2014 The Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance. All rights reserved.
Site Policies  |  Accessibility Statement
If you have any comments or suggestions about this site please e-mail our webmaster.
Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance
454 Broadway, Suite 200
Revere, MA  02151
Phone: (617) 391-6070
Fax: (617) 727-0667