Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of
Mastery Tuition Waiver Program
The Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of Mastery Tuition Waiver awards non-need-based state-supported undergraduate tuition waivers to students who are awarded the Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of Mastery by the Department of Education. The purposes of the Certificate of Mastery are to:
- Recognize high academic achievement on MCAS and other measures of academic achievement;
- Recognize high academic achievement as identified by outside forums including competitions, student publications, and awards;
- Provide an incentive for students to perform to their best abilities on MCAS and on the course of studies beyond grade 10; and
- Recognize high academic achievement in areas not included in MCAS.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible top apply for a Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of Mastery Award, a student must:
- Must be enrolled in a Massachusetts public high school.
- Students who have graduated high school are not eligible to apply.
- Be a permanent Massachusetts resident.
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- File a current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Criteria For Candidate For Certificate Of Mastery
To qualify as a Candidate for the Certificate of Mastery, a student must score "Advanced" on at least one grade 10 MCAS test subject, and score "Proficient" on the remaining sections of the grade 10 MCAS.
Criteria For Award Of Certificate Of Mastery
To receive the Certificate of Mastery, students must fulfill additional requirements through one of the following combinations covering both arts/humanities and mathematics/science:
- 2 AP exams with scores of 3 or better;
- 2 SAT II exams (Minimum score dependent upon subject area. Scores are listed on the Koplik application);
- 1 SAT II exam and 1 AP exam; or
- 1 SAT II exam and 1 other achievement; or
- 1 AP exam and 1 other achievement.
An institution within the system of public institutions of higher education as identified in Section 5 of Chapter 15A of the Massachusetts General Laws.
Recipients of the Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of Mastery Tuition Waiver
are eligible for an award of a non-need-based tuition waiver for state-supported undergraduate courses. Individual student awards shall be no more than the resident undergraduate tuition rate at the participating institution.
Students are also required to maintain a G.P.A. of 3.3 for continued eligibility.
How Do I Apply?
Application forms are available from the Koplik coordinator at your high school or contact Alexia Cribbs at the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education at (781) 338-3581 or via email at
. You may also contact the Massachusetts office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 391-6070 to obtain more information.